MORNING: ADVANCES IN PROJECT MANAGEMENT FOR CLINICAL TRIALS
09:55 Chairperson Opening Remarks
Roger Joby, R. & N.R. Consulting Ltd.
10:00 CASE STUDY: Organisational Justice, (the perception of fairness), and its impact on project performance
- Outsourcing in the construction industry
- Christine Unterhitzenberger, DBA Programme Leader, Liverpool John Moores University
10:30 JOINT PRESENTATION: Pain and gain risk sharing contracts
- what can clinical research learn from the HS2 (High Speed Railway line)
- How to introduce this contract into clinical research.
- What can clinical research learn from HS2?
Simon Taylor, Head of Programme Planning, HS2 Ltd and Roger Joby, R. & N.R. Consulting Ltd.
11:00 Morning Break
11:30 CASE STUDY: Agency problems and their impact on outsourced projects
- Strategies for dealing with difficult stakeholders
- 4 case studies 2 from construction and 2 from clinical research
Professor David Bryde, Professor in Project Management, Liverpool John Moores University
12:00 Ask the Expert: Question and Answer
Current Project Management Research
- Ideas on project success
- Principle Agent Theory
- Fairness in the workplace
- Earned Value Management
- Risk Analysis
- Stakeholder engagement
- The art of good communication
- Types of contracts
- Lessons from other industries
- Risk sharing models
- Agile project management
- The Digital Revolution
AFTERNOON: IMPROVING COMMUNIVATION AND CONFLICT AWARENESS TO BETTER MANAGE YOURSELF AND YOUR PARTNERSHIPS
13:30 to 16:30
Aim of the workshop session
As a participant to this workshop, we would like you to come prepared mentally with some prior examples of disputes and miscommunications. We will apply theses to processes and tools in order to increase awareness of yourself when in disputes, how to manage your emotions and demonstrate that you are actively listening. Communicate what is important to you beyond blame or positions, with the objective to improve your communication and its impact both in and outside of the conflict circle.
- Communication – perception vs reality vs our identity/values
- Engaging with the complexity of conflict- Understanding the nature of disputes
- Conflict Disorientation - How people respond in conflict and how our communication changes -looking beneath the surface of disputes to understanding the impact on yourself and others
- Dispute exploration utilising the conflict circle– How conflict is expressed through our emotions, cognitions, behaviour and our verbal communication & Identifying core fears and elements that distort our interaction
- Strategic questions to ask yourself/other at stages of the circle, how to practically increase information between parties, overcome conflict and optimise your understanding in a dispute
- The value of communication in re- framing the dispute
- Ingredients to enhance communication based on scientific and psychological principles- To constructively engage, manage, and resolve disputes
16:00 to 16:30 Communication for Successful Negotiation – Jennifer Emerson
All successful negotiations have one thing in common, nobody leaves the bargaining table feeling like they were taken advantage of. But how do you get there in today’s competitive environment where critical conversations sometimes focus more on personal agendas rather than on collective goals?
In this workshop, participants will learn actionable strategies. We will begin with the 3 steps all successful negotiators take to prepare for negotiations, including questions you should answer before you even sit down at the bargaining table. You will learn techniques to use during the negotiations to help you understand the other party’s position. This content also includes material to help participants understand the ways that Culture can affect negotiations. This workshop offers strategies for before, during, and after the time you meet your negotiation partner at the bargaining table.
Participants will be able to: use questions to prepare for any negotiation situation; evaluate which negotiation tools and techniques to use for best effect during different negotiation situations; and identify important follow up steps to ensure successful future negotiations
Anna Matranga, Strategic Sourcing R&D, Consultant, AMC Alliances & Consulting
Jennifer Emerson, Consultant, Emerson Consulting & Clinical Research Services, Germany