Most Nigerians will consider it a privilege to be called upon to serve their country once. When such people are called twice to do so, it would in no doubt mean a double honour. More importantly, such opportunities come as recognition of the capability and the ability of the beneficiary to perform. One of the very few Nigerians, who have had the opportunity to be called upon to put their skills to use for the service of the country, is Chief Dr. (Mrs.) Nike Akande CON.
She attended Queen’s school, Ede from 1958-1962 for her secondary education and started her “A” Level programme at Queen’s college, Lagos in 1963, before proceeding to the university tutorial college London, where she completed her “A” Level in 1964. Chief Dr. Nike Akande later attended the University of North London from 1965-1968 where she studied Accountancy. She did her postgraduate programme at the prestigious Harvard Business School, Boston, USA. She also attended a management development course at Oxford University, United Kingdom, and an Advance Management Course, at International Institute for Management Development in Lausanne, Switzerland. She was the first Nigerian Woman to be Minister of Industry. This was not surprising to many who know her as a strong believer in the philosophy that Industrialization is the key to economic development, poverty alleviation and eradication, as well as employment generation. Therefore, for Chief Akande, the double opportunity to serve as a Minister in the Ministry of Industry was an opportunity to fulfill a passion.
- She is a Harvard Trained Professional and an Investment Expert.
- Dr. (Mrs.) Akande is also a Director of Union Bank of Nigeria Plc.
- Director of PZ Cussions Foundation. 2008 to Date.
- President of The Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI).
- First Woman Chairman of NEPAD Business Group of Nigeria.
- Dr. (Mrs.) Akande is the Chairman, Academy for Entrepreneurial Studies (AES) Excellence Club. 2010 to Date.
- President of the National Association of Nigeria Women in Business (Lagos Chapter).
- The First Female President of Harvard Business School Association of Nigeria. 2010 to 2012
- Members of the Advisory Board of NLNG Nigeria Price for Science.
- Board Member, Women Corporate Directors in Nigeria.
- Former Council Member of The Nigeria-British Chamber of Commerce.
- International Consultant to the United Nations. Development Programme (UNDP), UNIFEM and UNIDO.
- Member Women Corporate Directors Global Nominating Commission in New York.
- Dr. (Mrs.) Akande is a foundation member of the Nigeria Economic Summit Group.
- Member of Nigeria G15 Economic Corporation Council.
- A member of the Africa Business Roundtable (ABR). 1997 to Date.
- President, Pan-Africa organization for Women Recognition.
- Member of Institute of Directors (IOD).
- Member of Vision 2010 and Vision 2020 of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- Member of the panel to study and re-organised Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
- Board member Bank Directors Association of Nigeria (BDAN).
- She is Deputy National President, Ex-Officio, NACCIMA.
- She is an honorary Life Vice-President of Nigeria Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (NACCIMA).
- Director of the National Insurance Corporation of Nigeria (NICON). 1993-1994.
- Director of Nigeria Industrial Development Bank (NIDB) now Bank of Industry. 1990-1994.
- Member of the Board of Trustee of the National Centre for Women Development, Abuja, 1992-1994.
- Distinguished honourable delegate to the National Conference of Nigeria. 2014.
- She is a recipient of many Honours and Awards among which are:
- National Honour of Commerder of the Order of the Niger (CON) 2014.
- National Honour of Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON) 2003.
- She is the recipient of the Lagos State Government 2011 Tax Compliance Award.
- A recipient of Vanguard Life Time Achievement Award.
- A recipient of The SUN Life Time Achievement Award. 2016.
- Trustee of President Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL).
- Africa Federation of Women Entrepreneur Award in Addis-Ababa Ethiopia. 1998
- Grand Star Award, Irawo Oodua by His Imperial Majesty, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, Ojaja II, Oonirisa of Ife.
- Inspirational Woman Award by Oyo State Officials Wives Association, at the 2016 National Women’s Summit. Presented by His Excellency, Oyo State Governor Abiola Ajimobi.
- Chairman, Oyo State Education Trust Fund.
- Unilever Nigeria Plc. Scholar. 1959
- School Prefect at Queen’s School, Ede now Queen’s School, Ibadan. 1958-1962 set. To name a few.
The Harvard Business School, Oxford University, United Kingdom, The International Institute for Management Development in Lausanne, Switzerland and Insead Business School Alumnus was Nigeria’s first Female Minister of Industry of Federal Republic of Nigeria. A renowned Industrialist and Investment Expert. Former President described her as “A role model and an Inspiration”. She has had a distinguished career in Nigeria’s business landscape and her CV can best described as intimidating.
She has participated in a number of International Trade and Investment for both Overseas and in Nigeria.
She is an author of many outstanding publication and academic papers, such as:
- Opportunities for Women in National Development.
- Maximizing Means of Gaining Access to Credit in Africa.
- Life Balance for the Career Woman-Thriving 24/7 for Women.
- Appointing Women into Boards of Corporations, Companies, and Government owned Agencies: Will affirmative action or enabling legislation work?
She is happily married to Chief Adebayo Akande MFR, a Solicitor and Chairman Splash FM 105.5