Informa Life Sciences is part of the Knowledge and Networking Division of Informa PLC
This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 3099067.
Permanent Secretary at Lagos State Ministry of Agriculture
Dr Shakirudeen Olayiwole Onasanya was born at the Epe General Hospital on 13th October, 1963 to Late Chief Sabiu Olatunde Onasanya and Alhaja Ramota Adetoun Onasanya of the Lasisi Agbomeji Onasanya Family of Naforija, Eredo, Epe Division.
Dr Onasanya holds a Bachelor of Agriculture Degree from the then University of Ife, now Obafemi Awolowo University in 1985, a Master of Science Degree in Agronomy from University of Ibadan in 1987 and a Doctor of Philosophy Degree in Agronomy from University of Ibadan in 1993. He has received training in the area of Environment and Sustainable Development in Costa Rica, Thailand and Zimbabwe, which culminated into being a fellow of Leadership for Environment and Development (LEAD) International based at Imperial College in London. He is a member of the strategic core group of LEAD International on Food Security.
Dr. Onasanya joined the Lagos State Civil Service in May, 1995 and has been in leadership positions for the past 16 years. He has mentored some staff of Government from being an Assistant Director and the Head of Agricultural Extension Services Component at the Lagos State Agricultural Development Authority, a parastatal of the Lagos State Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives where he supervised over 115 extension officers. In 2005, he was appointed as the State Project Coordinator of the successful award winning World Bank Project, the FADAMA II. The Project was rated the best project in Africa, having won the Regional Excellence Award for Africa.
In 2012, Dr Onasanya became the Director of Agricultural Services of the then Lagos State Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives. Since he became the Director, he has contributed immensely to the following projects:
1. The sustenance of the Agricultural-Youth Empowerment Scheme in Araga, Poka, Epe.
2. The Rice for Job Project that has empowered 430 youths and the construction of 2.5 metric tons per hour rice mill, as well as a 35 hectare Irrigation Project in Itoga, Badagry.
3. Increase in the land area for Rice Production from 80Ha in 2011 to 800Ha in 2013.
4. The Development of the Cassava Value Chain with the construction of 32 metric tons per day High Quality Cassava Flour Mill.
5. The development of the Poultry Value Chain with production and processing facilities at Erikorodo, Ikorodu.
6. The development of a Pig Breeding Facility at Gberigbe Piggery Estate, Ikorodu.
7. The increased mechanisation of land development in Lagos State from 300 ha in 2011 to 1500 ha in 2014.
8. The Development of an effective School Agricultural Programme with start-up in 36 schools. In addition 180 students have been trained in the summer school programme to develop the interest of our youths in Agriculture.
9. Reduction in the average age of farm settlers from 62 in 2011 to 52 in 2013.
10. The fumigation and de-infestation of the Alausa Secretariat.
11. The acquisition of land outside the State, including Osogbo in Osun State, Eggua in Ogun State and Abuja.
12. The establishment of the Agric-YES, Songhai Model, with 25 youths trained at the Republic of Benin.
13. Improvement in the income generated by the Agricultural Services Department from less than N3 million in 2011 to over N20 million by the end of 2014.
14. The development of vegetable farming in Iyaafin, Badagry using the Green House Technology.
15. Revitalization of the HIV/AIDS unit.
16. He has consulted for a number of organisations in Agriculture, Environment and Rural Development major of which are the World Bank, Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation ACP-EU (CTA), Wageningen, Netherlands, UNICEF among others.
Dr. Olayiwole Shakirudeen Onasanya was appointed as Permanent Secretary Ministry of Agriculture in February, 2016. He is happily married and is blessed with Children.