Michel DeelenDeputy Head of Mission at Royal Netherlands Embassy, Nigeria
Mr. Deelen read International Law at the University of Maastricht in the Netherlands. The final years of his study he studied at the universities of Westminster (UK), Salamanca (Spain) and Nairobi (Kenia), he obtained his master’s degree (LLM) in 1994.
From 1994-1995 he was in the Dutch military.
Mr. Deelen joined the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1996, where he subsequently held the following positions:
- 1996-1998 Asylum and Migration Direction; Middle East Desk
- 1999-2001 Second Secretary at the Netherlands Embassy in Lagos (Nigeria)
- 2002-2003 First Secretary at the Netherlands Embassy in Abuja (Nigeria)
- 2003-2007 Trade negotiator on Services and Government Procurement at the Netherlands Mission to the WTO (Geneva)
- 2007-2011 Deputy Head of Climate and Energy Division and Coordinator of International Energy Policy at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague.
- 2011-2012 Deputy Head Business and Markets Division at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague.
- 2012-2014 Chargé d’Affaires and DHM of the Netherlands in Tripoli (Libya).
- August 2014 – till date Head of the Netherlands Embassy Office in Lagos and Deputy Head of Mission.